Location: Dallas, TX
Mochila is not your typical third-party logistics provider. Founded in 2013, our team includes veteran logistics experts, software engineers, and robotic engineers who cut their teeth at Amazon, Google, and Microsoft and who are passionate about using technology to solve complex supply chain problems. Our robust fulfillment system allows ecommerce brands to focus on the core of their businesses – designing, marketing, and selling their products – while we effectively and efficiently manage our clients’ fulfillment logistics. Our growing client list includes well-known, high-end brands.
To support our rapid growth and ambitious goals, we’re assembling a team of rock stars who can make a significant impact and help us continue building something great. We are intellectually curious, obsessed with continuous improvement, and relentlessly focused on delivering results for our clients.
We are currently opening our third fulfillment center (FC) in Dallas, Texas to accommodate explosive growth from both current and new clients.
Reporting directly to the CEO and Founder and managing the build out and operations of our newest Fulfillment Center (FC) in Dallas, this is a unique opportunity to join a team of rock stars and help build something great. We are growing rapidly and dreaming big, and, in this role, you’ll get a chance to make a big impact as a senior leader in the company.
The Director of Operations is directly responsible for managing the FC, ensuring the safe, accurate, and timely completion of fulfillment and inventory management operations. In addition, the Director of Operations also provides direct support to Mochila’s clients, and is able to translate client goals into an effective operating plan for the FC.
You are comfortable wearing multiple hats, taking on full ownership of the FC’s operations as well as leading and developing your team of managers and your staff of 50 to 100 fulfillment specialists.
As the senior leader for a new FC, you are responsible for creating and building a culture of safety and exceptional performance. You understand that getting your hands dirty is a critical part of building and managing a world-class operation, and you actively manage production operations on the warehouse floor as necessary.
You inspire your team to continuously improve and develop operational processes, and you hold your managers accountable to do the same.
You exercise very strong judgment, and provide excellent support to our clients. You are able to communicate clearly, both through the written word and orally, with Mochila’s clients, and are able to work effectively with clients to develop operational plans that meet client needs and objectives.
You understand the broader policy implications of the actions you take, and you are capable of making sound decisions that impact the trajectory of the business.
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Lead all aspects of the FC, responsible for the overall safety, quality, performance, and customer experience of operations. You should be able to lead your team and the operation to consistently execute at world-class levels.
- Foster a safe work environment and lead a safety-first culture in your FC. Develop and implement safety initiatives to maintain and improve operations safety. Actively share your knowledge and improvements made in your site throughout the FC network, and help shape and implement new policies and processes to continually strengthen the safety culture throughout the company.
- Set and clarify requirements and expectations for your managers. Measure performance, provide feedback, and hold leaders accountable for their performance and the performance of their team. Build a pipeline of operations leadership talent.
- Drive the creation of quality initiatives and process improvements, drawing on the principles of Six Sigma and Lean and relying heavily on data analysis, to enable the department and the site to meet and exceed business plan goals.
- Actively develop managers by sourcing and nurturing their ideas, coaching them on the principles of Six Sigma and Lean, and rolling ideas from your team into the creation of improvement plans for your FC, and ultimately, into best practices for the entire Mochila FC network.
- Review work forecasts and determine staffing needs to meet daily, weekly, and monthly production goals, making adjustments as needed and appropriate to ensure client experience and budget goals are achieved.
- Provide exceptional support directly to clients: Manage accounts to ensure clients’ success, both operationally and financially, as well as assist with the onboarding of new clients. Help shape company policy based on client goals and needs as well as company strategy.
- Actively develop new ideas and improvement initiatives and help shape company policies that support the company’s strategy and vision. Participate in strategic planning projects with company leadership to develop operational plans based on your innovations and improvements.
- Ability to transform a broad vision into a tangible and successful operating plan, with demonstrated leadership skills to communicate ideas and to motivate and influence people.
- Ability to handle changing priorities and to use good judgment in stressful situations.
- A get-it-done attitude. Able to operate effectively in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to operate in a continuous improvement environment where you will always be developing and implementing new ideas and creative solutions as well as improving existing processes.
- Ability to plan, organize, and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and to make the appropriate trade-offs between competing priorities when necessary.
- A completed Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university; a degree in Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, Business, Economics, Mathematics, or related quantitative field is preferred.
- Direct management experience of an hourly workforce; experience with a contingent workforce and management experience in a manufacturing, production, or distribution environment preferred.
- Experience as a senior leader in a logistics, manufacturing, or retail environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including an ability to effectively communicate with the senior leadership team, clients, and warehouse staff.
- Ability to manage a team using performance metrics, as well as the ability to analyze large data sets to identify opportunities to improve performance. Must be comfortable using spreadsheet applications. Proficiency in SQL a plus.
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn new software applications and technologies.
- Interest in long-term career development with a rapidly growing and innovative company.
In addition, this position entails the following:
- Ability to work in construction/distribution environments that may be noisy, unheated, and not air-conditioned.
- Continuous walking, standing, bending, pushing, pulling, reaching, and handling in a warehouse environment, including regular bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head. Ability to walk an average of 10 miles daily, lifting of up to 50 lbs, and ability to access all areas of building (ascending and descending stairs and ladders safely and without limitation).
- Ability to operate a Powered Industrial Truck (PIT).